Understanding your rates | Redland City Council

Understanding your rates

How we calculate your rates

This page provides a brief explanation about how we calculate your rates. 

For more detail on how rates and charges are calculated, you can refer to these three documents:

Revenue Statement [PDF, 1.3MB]

Rates - general information [PDF, 0.6MB]

Rates and charges [PDF, 0.35MB]

1. General rate

Redland City Council uses a differential rating scheme to calculate properties' general rate. This is a fair and equitable way of charging according to land use.

Calculations are based on:

  • Land valuations set by Queensland Government's Department of Resources  https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/land/title/valuation
    • Check your 2024 land valuation - On 26 March 2024, the Queensland Government  issued new land valuations for 30 local government areas, including Redland City. Redland City Council does not determine these valuations, but they are used when calculating how much landowners pay in general rates. The new valuation will be used to calculate the general rate you’ll pay from your next rates notice in July. Read more. If you disagree with your valuation, landowners have the right to object on certain grounds during the Queensland Government's objection period, closing 27 May 2024. Find out how to make an objection on the Queensland Government's 2022 Land Valuations webpage.
  • Land use category - there are 28 categories in Redland City
    (refer to rating category statement)

2. Council charges

Below is a list of all council charges that can be included in a rate notice. Not all charges are applicable to everyone.

  • Environment & Coastal Management Charge
  • Landfill remediation charge
  • Redland City SES Administration charge
  • Waste and recycling charge
  • Water charges:
    • Fixed access water charge
    • Water consumption charge
  • Wastewater fixed access charge
  • Trade waste charge
  • Special charges, only applicable for those in the benefit area:
    • Rural Fire Brigade (Karragarra, Lamb, Russell, Macleay and Perulpa Islands)

3. Queensland State Government charges

The following charges are collected by Redland City Council on behalf of the Queensland State Government. 

  • Emergency management levy
  • Bulk water consumption charge

Comparing rates to other council areas

Rating categories are rarely comparable between councils, as no two are identical.

Comparing rates, water, sewerage, refuse and separate charges does not take into account the different services offered by councils, the geography of the council areas, the size of the ratepayer base who share the cost, or the mix of residential, commercial and other rate paying categories that contribute to rate revenue.

Most councils in south-east Queensland do not own water businesses. Their residents receive a rates notice from the local council and water notices from completely different organisations. Separate rates and water notices make it very clear which are not Council charges.

Along with Logan and Gold Coast, Redland City Council is one of just three councils in the region that is also a water retailer. We buy directly from the bulk supplier, Seqwater, and supply water to your Redlands property. Our rates notice includes all water costs in the one notice. This includes the bulk water charge – the largest portion of your water consumption charge – which Council is simply passing on from the Queensland Government.  

It is important to remember that most other councils don’t include water charges on their rates notices so comparison of total amounts is not a reliable comparison.  

See the Comparing our General Rate to other councils [PDF, 175KB] graphical comparison between Redland City Council and other south-east Queensland councils.  

Lodging an objection to your rating category

If you disagree with the rating category on your rate notice, you can lodge an objection - refer to rating category statement.

This needs to be done within 30 days of the issue date on the rate notice.

Notice of objection to rating category [PDF, 0.2MB]

Property Use Code

Property Use Code

Short Description

Property Use Code Description


Shopping Centre – Major

means the use of a property for an integrated shopping complex consisting mainly of shops with:

  1. a total centre lettable area greater than 25,000 square meters;
  2. 1 or more discount department store tenants;
  3. 1 or more supermarket tenants; and
  4. greater than 1,000 car bays.


Shopping Centre - Large

means the use of a property for an integrated shopping complex consisting mainly of shops with:

  1. a total centre lettable area between 10,000 and 25,000 square meters;
  2. 1 or more supermarket tenants; and
  3. between 600 and 1,000 car bays.


Shopping Centre - Neighbourhood

means the use of a property for an integrated shopping complex consisting mainly of shops with:

  1. a total centre lettable area of less than 10,000 square meters;  1 or more supermarket tenants;
  2. Between 200 and 600 car bays.


Shopping Centre - Convenience

means the use of a property for an integrated shopping complex consisting mainly of shops where:

  1. 1 tenant is a supermarket or grocery outlet;
  2. the cluster of shops are promoted, or generally regarded, as a shopping court or shopping centre; and
  3. has less than 200 car bays.

Change of ownership

Redland City Council cannot change the details on a property's title deed. We can only record a change of ownership after receiving an official notification from the Department of Resources.

If you wish to change your title deed, we suggest you contact a solicitor or the Department of Resources website.

Redland City Council charges an administration fee for recording a change of ownership. There are exemptions to this fee, listed on the form below. To apply for an exemption, complete the exemption of change of ownership form [PDF, 0.1MB]

When a property is sold, the seller and buyer negotiate the rates and charges due at the time of settlement.

Redland City Council does not enter into negotiations or issue new or amended rate notices after receiving change of ownership notifications.

Are you moving?

Whether you have sold your property or not, if you are moving to a new address you must inform Redland City Council of your new address. Your rate notice will then be sent to your new address.

Tell us you've moved

Reduced charges for adjoining properties

Rates are calculated per allotment.  If you own two or more allotments with common boundaries the following options are available to you to reduce your rates:

Land amalgamation by resurveying into single allotment (One Title Deed)

Landowners are required to contact a licensed surveyor to organize for a new plan to be prepared to resurvey 2 or more adjoining allotments into one single allotment.  The new plan is registered at Titles Office by the owner or their nominee.  The Titles Office will cancel the existing Title Deeds and create a new Title Deed for the new allotment.  Once registered, Council will receive a copy of the new plan.  Council will process the new plan which will result in one valuation and one set of utility/service charges.

Land amalgamation for rating purposes (retaining individual Title Deeds)

Landowners must contact the Department of Resources to request an amalgamation for rating purposes.  This will result in the individual lots being retained and only one amalgamated land valuation is allocated.  Utility/Service charges are applied on a per allotment basis.

Property owners interested in an amalgamation for rating purposes should contact the Department of Resources through the Titles Registry office.

Related links