Removal Dwelling steps | Dwelling removal steps | Redland City Council

Removal Dwelling steps

Below are the basic steps required to be considered when deciding to relocate a removal dwelling in or to the Redlands.

  1. Weigh up all of your options and costs – this may include any costs for the purchase of the dwelling, moving and rebuilding the dwelling, building certifier fees, Council fees and security bonds.
  2. Obtain information from a building certifier about any necessary building approvals.
  3. Speak to a town planner to confirm whether you need planning approval.
  4. Apply to Council for a building referral amenity and aesthetics approval using the Concurrence Agency Referral Form.
    • Please be aware that in some instances, a planning application for material change of use (MCU) may be required. If this is the case, you will not need to lodge a separate request to Council for a concurrence agency referral. Instead, Council will assess any relevant referral triggers as part of the MCU. If you are unsure if you need MCU approval for your removal dwelling, you can contact Council's Planning Assessment team for advice on (07) 3829 8999.
  5. Organise:
    • approval to use State roads for the relocation – contact National Heavy Vehicle Register or call 1300 696 487
    • building, plumbing, electrical and other required work to the removal house and property
    • demolition approval (through a private building certifier) for the current site of the house if required
    • plumbing approval (through Council) for the new location
    • domestic driveway crossover approval (through Council) for the new location
    • water supply (through City Water) for the new location
    • final building approval (through a private building certifier) for the new location

Visit the application forms and fees page for more information about application requirements.


Amenity and aesthetics

Performance criteria is to be addressed by applicants as part of an application that is referred to Council (as a concurrence agency) under Schedule 9, Division 2 of the Planning Regulation 2017 (as amended) for amenity and aesthetic assessment.

This is to ensure that the removal dwelling on the property is positioned in the correct position and the design and exterior of a removal building and dwelling both respect and enhance the surrounding area, amenity, and character of the neighbourhood.

Note: The amenity and aesthetics referral is not required if planning approval is required. If a planning approval is required for your proposal, the amenity and aesthetics matters will be included within the planning assessment process.

Assessment Criteria for Amenity and Aesthetic Applications referred to Council for a concurrence agency response. 

As per the Amenity and Aesthetics Policy (Version 7) and Amenity and Aesthetics Guideline (Version 8)

ITEM 2 – Removal Buildings and Dwellings


To ensure the siting and design of a removal building and dwelling, respect and enhance the built form, amenity and character of the neighbourhood with regard to scale, siting and external design.

Specific outcomes Probable solutions

The design, siting and materials of the removal building or dwelling is in keeping with the amenity of the surrounding neighbourhood and the overall outcomes of the zone code as contained in City Plan.

P1. The external wall cladding material is free of any visible or performance related defects

P2. External walls are finished to provide a surface that is free of flaking paint, stains or rust.

P3. Roof cladding material is free of any visual or performance related defects including rust, flaking paint or broken tiles.

P4. Where providing for an elevated entry, the dwelling house incorporates external stairs, landing and balustrades.

P5. Windows and external window fittings are not cracked and/or broken and of good condition.


Note – The overall outcomes, specific outcomes and probable solutions in the applicable Zone and Dwelling House Code may provide additional assessment criteria that will assist in establishing and addressing the character and amenity of the neighbourhood.