Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Redland City is under lockdown until 4pm, Sunday 8 August as required by the State Government. For more information about Council services affected, as well as links to other important websites:

Visit Council's Coronavirus web page

Water and sewerage connections

  • Please note the cut off date for new applications in 2021 is Friday, 10 December. Any applications submitted after 10 December 2021 and before 10 January 2022 will be processed within 20 business days from 10 January 2022.
  • Applications for quotes received in June of the current financial year will not be issued until after 01 July to ensure that customers are being charged rates as per the financial year that the works will be completed in.
  • All CURRENT quotes in that financial year will be honoured and payments can be accepted as per normal.
  • If your property is on a road that is managed by Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR), we are required to apply for a permit from DTMR before carrying out work - this can take up to 12 weeks from time of application.  To support our application, we are required to submit copies of plans certified by a Registered Professional Engineer in Queensland (RPEQ). We are able to provide these and the cost will be included in the quote. You are also able to engage your own RPEQ engineer to draft and certify the design for DTMR. The design should be showing detailed connection and fittings and depth of the service (a cross section showing the location of underground pipework in relation to the kerb and channel). Please advise if you will be submitting your own RPEQ plans, so we do not include the cost in the quote.

When do I require a water and sewerage connection?

Connections for both water and sewerage (wastewater) are required when building a new property in the Redlands Coast connection area.  Existing properties should already have these connections in place unless they are not connected to town water and/or have onsite sewerage disposal.

What is a fire service connection and do I need one?

A fire service connection is a connection that is used solely for providing direct access to the water network for the purpose of fire protection.

Fire services are generally found on commercial properties, apartment complexes or larger residential properties.  This infrastructure is required by the Queensland Fire & Emergency Service (QFES) to effectively access water on your property to fight any potential fires.

Our current specifications do not include combined fire and water connections.  Individual applications will be required for each.  To find out more, talk to your builder, plumber or hydraulic engineer.

What do I need to consider for my connection?

For all new services please consider the following:

  • New water connection sizes available are 20mm, 25mm, 32mm, 50mm & 100mm.  
  • New sewerage connection sizes are 100mm & 150mm.  Larger connections are available - please discuss with your engineer.
  • We use mechanical water meters only, with a digital pulse outlet point. Magnetic flow meters are not available.
  • All water meters are located within the property boundary with a standard installation of .5m from your left or right hand boundary.
  • All new sewer connections will be located on the lowest side of the property.
  • Vegetation, existing utility services and infrastructure (ie retaining walls) can all affect placement of your water and sewerage services.
    • Do not plan to build over or plant large vegetation near sewerage and water connection points.
  • All new connections, relocations, disconnections and sub-meter installations to existing developments require an assessment and quote.
  • If our network does not currently abut your property and you are just outside the current connection area, your quote may include the cost of extending the network to a suitable location for your connection.
  • Time delays may occur if traffic management applications are required for state controlled roads through the Department of Transport & Main Roads.