Infrastructure charges

Infrastructure charges resolution (No. 2.3) 2016

Council’s Adopted Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No. 2.3) 2016 [PDF, 0.4MB] was adopted on 24 August 2016 and came into effect on 25 August 2016.

The resolution details Council’s policy position on:

  • criteria for deciding whether development infrastructure is trunk infrastructure;
  • a method for calculating the cost of trunk infrastructure for various types of residential and non-residential development
  • application, details and timing of an offset or refund.

Related forms

Superseded resolutions

Trunk infrastructure charges

Fee table for trunk infrastructure charges for development applications approved prior to 1st July 2011 [PDF, 0.2MB]

Applicable development for the levied charge

The types of development that trigger the levying of adopted infrastructure charges are:

  • Reconfiguring a lot (RAL)
  • Material change of use of premises (MCU)
  • Carrying out building work

When are the adopted infrastructure charges payable?

The adopted infrastructure charges are payable:

  • RAL- before Council approves the plan of subdivision
  • MCU - before the change happens (‘Final Plumbing Approval’ is generally used by Council)
  • Building works - before the ‘Certificate of classification’ or ‘Final Inspection Certificate’ for the building works is issued

Infrastructure charges relating to building works

The Redland City Plan has reduced the level of assessment for some types of developments that comply with the requirements of the City Plan, for example:

  • Dual occupancy applications in certain residential areas are not assessable by Redland City Council due to being accepted development or accepted where compliant with requirements of the City Plan.

It is important to remember that even if your project is an accepted material change of use for the purposes of Council assessment against the planning scheme, a building approval may still be required through private building certification. Building approval, or 'certification', is required for development that involves carrying out building work under the Planning Act 2016 (PA), as well as under specific building legislation. Building approvals require assessment against the Building Code of Australia (forming Volumes 1 and 2 of the National Construction Code) and Queensland’s Building and Plumbing Regulations.

The reduction in the level of assessment means that there may no longer be the necessity to pay development application fees. However, the project will still be required to pay infrastructure charges as per Council’s Adopted Infrastructure Charges Resolution trigger for carrying out building works.

If you are a private certifier that has been engaged by a client to perform private assessment and certification of building works, you are required by Section 143 of the Building Act 1975 to provide Council with a copy of the notice of engagement and application details within 5 business days after the engagement starts. As soon as practical after receiving this notice (or approved building plans or certification whichever comes first), Council will advise you and the owner if the development will attract infrastructure charges.

More information