Hi. Looks like you've seen me in and around Redlands Coast. At this time of year we're very much out and about around town. It's breeding season, you see, and so adults are seeking some loving affairs of our own, while juveniles are looking for a place to live as they leave home for the last time (finally!).
All this means that, from July until December, we'll be popping up in unexpected places: backyards, street trees, the odd cafe, and sometimes you'll even see us crossing the road.
We know that all Redland Coasters and visitors love us, so here are a few steps you can all follow to help keep us safe!
- Please slow down when driving and be koala alert — particularly at dawn and dusk, when koalas often travel and can be difficult to see.
- When driving in ‘koala zones’ and you see the flashing koala signs (such as in Ormiston) – please slow down, as these areas have a much higher concentration of koala activity.
- Make sure that your back garden is ‘koala safe’, with a rope in the pool and a ramp against the fence so koalas have a safe route from the pool or garden.
- If you have a dog in the backyard, ensure that it is both trained and secured at night time for koala safety.
- When you see a koala in your street or suburb, tell your family and neighbours to help spread awareness in your community.
If you see a koala and are concerned about its safety, contact the Redlands Wildlife Rescue Service on 3833 4031.
Further information on koalas
- The Koala Action and Conservation Plan [PDF, 2.0MB] documents actions to progress the strategic outcomes and objectives outlined in the Redland Koala Conservation Strategy 2016 [PDF, 2.0MB].
- Our Koala page has information on koalas in Redlands Coast.
- Visit the IndigiScapes website to find out more about wildlife in Redlands Coast.
- Visit the Koala Land website to find out more about koala conservation across the whole of Australia.
- Find out about the koala detection dogs, a part of a city-wide koala population assessment.
- Ormiston koala safe neighbourhood
- If you haven't seen our ads, check out all of our bus shelter advertisements.