Trade waste is liquid waste from businesses, trade or manufacturing premises, other than stormwater. This includes wastewater from restaurants, service stations, spray painters, car washing, butchers, commercial laundries, cafes and shopping centres.
Approval is required to discharge any trade waste into the sewer and Council may include conditions with the approval. Additional trade waste charges apply and are included on the quarterly rate notice. This allows Council to protect its sewer infrastructure, treatment plants, staff and the environment and to ensure equitable charging.
Some businesses may be required to install and maintain pre-treatment infrastructure before connection to sewer.
The property owner is primarily responsible for:
- Applying for trade waste approval.
- Ensuring compliance with conditions.
- Maintenance of infrastructure.
- Payment of charges.
- Advising Council of changes to the business.
- A guide to trade waste [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Trade waste factsheet [PDF, 0.2MB] (including approvals and charges)
- Trade waste non-compliance fact sheet [PDF, 0.2MB]
- Trade waste service agents fact sheet [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Trade waste policy [PDF, 0.1MB]
- Trade waste guideline WST-001-001-G [PDF, 0.2MB]