Weinam Creek Priority Development Area Project
On 3 May 2013, Council resolved to apply to the Minister for Economic Development Queensland (EDQ) for a Priority Development Area (PDA) declaration for Weinam Creek.
In June 2013, Weinam Creek was declared a PDA, providing an opportunity to reinforce Weinam Creek as a point of community focus and a regional Gateway to Moreton Bay, with opportunities for a transport hub and waterfront commercial and recreational precinct.
On 22 November 2013, Council resolved to endorse for public notification the proposed Development Scheme for the Weinam Creek PDA. The public notification and submission period for the Weinam Creek PDA Development Scheme was undertaken from 10 January to 24 February 2014.
On 29 May 2014, the Weinam Creek PDA Development Scheme was approved by the State Government. The Council and EDQ also invited proponents to call for Expressions of Interest for the development of Weinam Creek.
In December 2015, Walker Group Holdings presented three high-level design concepts to Councillors to gain their feedback on options for the ferry terminal and potential new marina.
On 1 August 2016, Walker Group Holdings submitted its Request for Proposal documents to Council and the State Government for assessment.
On 18 May 2018, Council announced that a decision had been made in conjunction with Walker Group not to proceed with Walker Group's Weinam Creek PDA project proposal.
In June 2018, Council confirmed its commitment to the rejuvenation of the Weinam Creek PDA, announcing plans to develop the site to provide the community infrastructure that the area requires.
Redland City Council has a clear vision for the Weinam Creek PDA precinct that responds to the community's needs. Weinam Creek is set to become an exciting and dynamic destination in its own right - as well as an effective transport hub and gateway to the islands.
Council-owned subsidiary Redland Investment Corporation is working with Council to develop stage one of the Project. The master plan [PDF, 6.56MB] which will be delivered in stages, will transform the waterfront of Redland Bay, improve the usability of the transport hub, attract visitors, create jobs and drive economic development in the area.
The master plan will include:
- More open space
- New pedestrian and cycle ways
- Rejuvenation of existing parkland
- More car parks
- Improved drop off and storage facilities for island residents and visitors
- A new boat ramp to separate emergency and public access
- A mix of residential and retail spaces including cafes, restaurants and potential for a medical precinct.
Project update - February 2021
The final proposed master plan for the Weinam Creek PDA redevelopment has been submitted to Economic Development Queensland (EDQ) for assessment and is publicly available.
Have your say and take a quick survey to give your feedback on the proposed master plan.
EDQ is expected to announce a public notification period seeking formal submisions by approximately April 2021.
Register your interest
- Register to receive information on the progress of the project.
- Weinam Creek PDA Update - August/September 2020
- August 2019 Update - Weinam Creek PDA redvelopment
- Weinam Creek PDA redevelopment - March 2019 update [PDF, 5.23MB]
- Weinam Creek PDA redevelopment Stage 1 - March 2019 update [PDF, 3MB]
- Weinam Creek PDA proposed master plan [PDF, 5.56MB]
- Weinam Creek PDA Stage 1 proposed master plan [PDF, 5.3MB]
- Weinam Creek PDA FAQs
- Weinam Creek FAQs on the Queensland Government website