Private Building Certifier | Redland City Council

Private Building Certifier

Do you need a building approval?

Before starting work on most buildings and structures, you may need a building approval, development approval or building certification. Building approvals can be obtained from any building certifier appropriately licensed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). You can find more information about building applications and the role of building certifiers here.

What does a private building certifier do?

A private building certifier can tell you if you need to get a building approval and help with the approval process.

Private building certifiers can tell you if you need to get a planning approval, concurrence agency referral or a plumbing and drainage approval.  Referral to Council as a concurrence agency often relate to whether your proposal complies with the Queensland Development Code (QDC).  You can find more information about the QDC here.

Your private building certifier will assess whether the proposed building work complies with the Building Act 1975 and associated codes and standards. They will also approve the work and lodge the approved documents including relevant forms with Council.

During construction, the private building certifier will inspect the building work at different stages. They will make sure the work complies with the building approval.

Inspections may include:

  • site inspection
  • foundation and excavation stage
  • slab stage
  • frame stage
  • final stage.

Any private building certifier can inspect works.

The private building certifier is required to give the owner a copy of any inspection certificates within five business days of completing the inspection.

The private building certifier will lodge the final approval documents with Council when the building is finished.

Council holds these documents in our records and can supply them to current and future property owners. To find out more, please email us at or phone 3829 8999.

Finding a private building certifier

Unfortunately, we are unable to give recommendations about which private building certifier to choose. Most private building certifiers advertise their services in the Yellow Pages or White Pages.

All private building certifiers must be registered with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. Redland City Council does not offer building certification services. Find out more about private building certifiers on the Queensland Building and Construction Commission website.

Lodgement of information for Private Building Certifiers

Private building certifiers must lodge the following building application documents with Council accompanied by the lodgement fee listed in the current fees and charges register:

  • building application and associated documentation (DA Form 2)
  • notice of engagement (Form 56)
  • decision notice (Form 6)
  • final inspection certificate (Form 21) or certificate of classification (Form 11)
  • a copy of the plans, drawings and specifications and other stamped approved documents
  • other documents including:
    • fire safety installations and special fire services applying to the building work
    • certificates and information relied on to decide the application.
    • Amended Decision Notice and Plans if applicable
    • 1st Extension of Time Approval if applicable

It is important to lodge documents within legislated timeframes to make sure they are available for current and future property owners.

You can access building forms on the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

How to lodge

Whilst it is Council’s preference to accept all documentation electronically, you can lodge your Private Building Certifier documentation the following ways:

  1. by email: (attach Private Building Certifier lodgement and final documents)
  2. in person: at one of our Council Customer Service Centres, click here for details
  3. by mail: Redland City Council, City Planning and Assessment Group, PO Box 21 Cleveland QLD 4163