Waste disposal fees | Waste disposal fees and charges | Redland City Council

Waste disposal fees and charges

Waste disposal fees


You do not pay fees for non-commercial use of our Recycling and Waste Centres. To gain free access, you will need to provide proof of residency (i.e. ID which has photo and address).

Residents will be charged commercial fees for any of the following situations (even if the waste is from residential premises):

  • the vehicle disposing of the waste has a Gross Combination Mass (GCM) of more than 4.5 tonnes – this includes vehicle, passengers and waste
  • the vehicle and/or trailer is commercially signed or badged
  • waste is from a work site
  • you are transporting the waste for a fee or a reward.

See below for more information regarding commercial waste fees.

If your only vehicle is commercially signed or you use it for commercial business purposes, you can apply for a Commercial Vehicle Waiver. Complete and submit a Commercial Vehicle Waiver form [PDF, 0.2MB].

We will assess your application and if approved:

  • eight waivers will be issued
  • waivers are valid for 12 months from the date of issue
  • no further waivers will be issued within the 12 month period
  • waivers must be surrendered to the Recycling and Waste Centre staff prior to disposal.

Commercial waste fees and non-resident fees

Redland City Council recycling and waste centres can accept some types of commercial waste however fees apply.
Commercial waste cannot be disposed of for free at Council’s recycling and waste centres, even if you are a resident of Redland City.
Commercial waste is waste produced as a result of an organisation carrying out a business, including activities carried out at domestic premises under a commercial arrangement.

Failure to declare commercial waste is an offence under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 and may result in future visits being automatically classified as commercial waste disposal, incurring the
relevant fees.

Commercial fees apply for non-residents.

What are the fees?

Fees are based on the amount of waste brought into the recycling and waste centres: 

  • All recycling and waste centres (except for Birkdale) measure green waste in cubic metres
  • All recycling and waste centres (except for Birkdale) charge for commercial mixed waste (Commercial & Industrial) by vehicle type and configuration
  • Birkdale Recycling and Waste Centre has a weighbridge, measuring all commercial waste types by weight (accuracy of +/- 20kg)

The fees cover the cost of disposing of, composting or recycling commercial waste including the costs associated with the Queensland Government Waste Disposal Levy (where applicable).

Fees are displayed at the gatehouse or refer to the Council fees page.

How are commercial waste visitors identified?

Commercial waste visitors are identified through:

  • Waste material type
  • Commercial vehicle registration status
  • Vehicle signage
  • Vehicle and trailer type and configuration
  • Frequency of visits
  • Other factors attributed to commercial waste activities

I’m not disposing of commercial waste or using a commercial vehicle. What do I do?

Please contact Council via email to rcc@redland.qld.gov.au with the following details:

  • Subject: FAO: Waste Operations. Commercial Vehicle Status
  • Name, address and phone number
  • Registration number
  • Statement about why you are disputing your commercial vehicle status