Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Travel and other restrictions are set to change for Queensland, including Redland City, when 70%, 80% and 90% of the eligible population is fully vaccinated.

More information

Traffic management permits

Permits are needed for traffic management if you are:

  • altering traffic conditions on a road
  • temporarily closing car parks
  • temporary closure of footpath
  • conducting an event that impacts Council's roads directly including cycle events in live traffic or temporarily closing a road 
  • undertaking a Controlled Burn where smoke drift may impact on roads
  • undertaking a development which includes works on a Council controlled road or road reserve.

These permits require a traffic management plan and/or a Traffic Guidance Scheme (TGS), which must be prepared by an accredited traffic control provider in line with the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 and the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices and include:

  • Traffic guidance schemes of the sites showing appropriate signage, barricading and traffic control to be installed.
  • Description of the proposed works and lane/road closures.
  • Identification and assessment of traffic impacts of proposed works/event
  • Proposed timeline for these works.
  • Assessment of public transport services affected.
  • Details of provisions made for emergency vehicles, heavy vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.
  • Proposed public notification process, if required.

If the roads and/or road reserves are being impacted on a state controlled road you will need a Department of Transport and Main Roads permit as well as a Council permit.

There are two types of permits available from Council:

Road opening permit

A road opening permit is required for construction works associated with a development (OPW application) that are undertaken in a Council road reserve. These can include:

  • Road widening
  • Installation of utility services eg, sewer , water, stormwater, electricity
  • Footpath construction/works
  • Development driveway installation

Please ensure your road opening permit application [PDF, 2.1MB], with fees, bonds, insurances and traffic management plan is submitted at least five days prior to requesting a prestart meeting.

If you are unsure whether you need a road opening permit contact Council's City Planning & Assessment group on (07) 3829 8999.

Traffic control permit

A traffic control permit is required for maintenance that is undertaken within the road reserve or for events that will significantly impact Council's roads or road reserve. These can include:

  • Street tree trimming
  • Infrastructure maintenance - Telstra / Energex / NBN / QRail
  • Road repairs
  • Events at Cleveland Showgrounds requiring speed reductions in adjacent streets
  • Triathlons
  • Controlled Burns

Traffic Control Permit Applications can take a minimum of 10 working days to process.

Before completing our online Traffic Control Permit Application please ensure you have ready to upload a copy of your:

  • Traffic control plan/schemes,
  • Public liability insurance
  • Workers compensation insurance.

The traffic control indemnity form has now been integrated into the new online process. Refer to page 40 of the Council Register of Fees and Charges [1.1 MB] for the Traffic Control Permit  application fee - an invoice will be issued for upon processing of your application. . 

If you are unsure whether you need a traffic control permit, contact Council's City Operations Group on (07) 3829 8999.