If you are taking over a food business that is currently in operation, you are required to apply for your own Food Business Licence that must be approved before you commence trading.
Council recommends applying for an Environmental Health Pre-sale Inspection when looking to take over an existing food business. For further information, refer to the section below ‘Environmental Health Pre-sale Inspection'.
If major changes or renovations are proposed for the food business, please contact the Environmental Health Team on (07) 3829 8463 as you may need to apply for a design approval first for the new fit-out.
If you are taking over an existing mobile food vehicle that is licensed with another Local Government, you will be required to follow the same process as starting a new food business listed above.
How to apply for a licence for an existing business
To apply for a Food Business Licence when taking over an existing food business, follow the below steps:
Step 1 – Current owner to surrender their licence
- Submit a Food Business Application form online and select the option ‘surrender my food business licence’.
Step 2 – Purchaser to apply for their licence
- Submit a Food Business Application form online and select the option ‘apply for a food business licence transfer for an existing business’.
Step 3 – Purchaser to pay the required fees
Once Council receives both forms, an invoice will be emailed to the purchaser for the below:
- $370 transfer fee (this is a once-off fee for the assessment and approval of the application); and
- The pro-rata licence fee (this fee is calculated based on the annual licence fees and is dependent on the remaining time left in the licensing period).
Please note: Once the payment and both forms are received, Council will assess your application within 30 days and contact you if further information is required or will issue the Food Business Licence once approved.
Step 4 – Issuing of Food Business Licence
- Once the application is approved, Council will email/post the Food Business Licence to the purchaser.
Please note: All food business licences have an annual expiry date of 31 October. The renewal notice will be emailed at least 60 days prior to the licence expiration.
Prior to taking over an existing food business, it is recommended to apply for an Environmental Health pre-sale inspection to check the current condition of the food business. An Environmental Health Officer will inspect the business and provide a report with information on the design/fit-out compliance, maintenance and cleaning of the premises. The report may assist you in making decisions when purchasing the business.
To apply for an Environmental Health Pre-sale Inspection, follow the below steps:
Step 1 – Submit an Environmental Health Pre-sale Inspection Application
- Obtain written consent from the current licence holder;
- Complete the Environmental Health Pre-sale Inspection form online;
- Upload the written consent (unable to submit the application without this attached); and
- Pay the $620 application fee.
The application will be processed within seven business days once the completed form and payment are received.
Step 2 – Inspection of Premises
- An Environmental Health Officer will inspect the business; and
- A report will be emailed to the applicant.
Please note: Before you can start operating the business, you will be required to apply for your own food business licence. Refer to the section ‘How to apply for a licence for an existing business’ above.