Planned service outage

Due to scheduled maintenance, RPAC, myServices, PDonline and Red-e-Map sites will be unavailable from 4pm-10pm Saturday 6 June. We apologise for the inconvenience.

The Queensland Government establishes the relevant legislation for building works and you can contact the Queensland Building and Construction Commission for advice on registered builders and requirements for owner builders.

Below is a list of your requirements under the relevant legislation and Council recommendations for building a household deck.

Regulatory requirements

Under the Building Regulation 2006, you generally require building approval using a set of criteria. You must:

  • Meet the Queensland Development Code setback requirements for front, side and rear boundaries.
  • Locate the structure 1.2m or more from underground infrastructure (e.g. sewer mains, maintenance holes and house connections).
  • Have a professional draftsperson, registered with the Building Designers Association of Queensland, prepare a set of working drawings that clearly show how the structure will be built (i.e. the method of construction and the required building materials) to ensure the use of quality materials. This applies whether a builder will manage the project or you plan to owner build.
  • Submit these working drawings to a private certifier for assessment, approval and final completion inspection. More complex decks may need input from a structural engineer.
  • Wait until you have a valid building approval (stamped) in your hands before commencing construction.

Note: Possible exemptions should be discussed with Council or a building certifier.