Hooning | Redland City Council

Hooning is a common word used for any anti-social behaviour in a motor vehicle (car, van or motor bike) and is a dangerous activity that impacts the community, pedestrians and other road users. Unfortunately, Council cannot police or enforce this type of behaviour.

To report this dangerous behaviour, you should contact your local police station, Policelink on 131 444, 13HOON (134 666) or via the Queensland Police online form which can be found at this link  Report a Traffic Incident

By providing as much information about the incident at the time of reporting it, Police are better able to use their resources more effectively in policing this dangerous behaviour.

To assist authorities to address the issue you should provide the following details when reporting these incidents:

  • time and date
  • the location
  • the nature of dangerous activity
  • details of the vehicles involved
  • any photographs or videos of these incidents

If there is an immediate threat to your safety you should call 000.

Council does not support the installation of traffic management devices to combat hooing issues. Hooning is a policing matter and best dealt with by the authority of the Qld Police Service.

What you should report

Under Queensland legislation, hooning includes the following behavours:

  • screeching brakes
  • revving of engines
  • skidding
  • donuts
  • drifting
  • fishtails
  • speeding and street racing
  • driving so as to cause unnecessary noise or smoke

Even at low speeds, hooing behavour may cause a driver to loose control of their vehicle and this behaviour is reportable.

How your information helps

In 2021 State Government introduced legislation to target hoon activity. As a result of these new laws, Police are now equipped with powers which will enable them to serve notices on the owner of a vehicle involved in hooning offences.

This legislation change supports both resident and council collection of security camera footage for support to Queensland Police to investigate hooning offences.

Under anti-hooning laws, Police can impound vehicles involved in hooning, in some cases permanently. Hooning reports also help Police identify 'hotspots' where they can take action to prevent hooning behaviour.

By reporting hooning to Police you contribute to safer roads for everyone.