Permits and licencing - Roads and marine
Commercial Ferry licences
Under Subordinate Local Law No. 1 (Administration) and Local Law 1.17 (Operation of a ferry charter, or hire service from a Local Government-controlled boat ramp or landing) 2015, commercial vessels operating within the Redland City local government area, providing ferry transport services, are required to obtain approval to use Council-managed jetties or landing facilities.
Commercial vessels include:
- Commercial passenger and vehicular ferry transport services.
- Tourism charter boat operators.
- Boat hire services.
- Special events organisers, such as film production and sporting event companies.
Note: Recreational boat users are not required to obtain a licence.
Applying for or renewing a ferry licence
To apply for or renew a ferry licence, please complete the online Ferry Licence Application here.
A one-off application fee will be required when submitting your ferry licence application form.
Please ensure you read the Ferry Licence Terms and Conditions before submitting your application.
Ferry licence fee
Council’s ferry licence fees are calculated on a cost-recovery basis to cover the operating costs, including employee costs and goods and services costs involved in maintaining and upgrading jetty and landing facilities.
Every individual licence fee comprises a ‘vessel licence fee’ (based on the vessel’s gross tonnage) and an ‘activity licence fee’ (based on the number of times the vessel lands at Council-managed jetty or landing facilities).
Ferry Licence validity period
As of the 2021-2022 financial year, the licence validity period will align with the financial year from 1 July to 30 June, effecting a change from the former ferry licence validity period, which commenced 1 October and ended 30 September.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ferry Licence Fees FY 2021-22 Application fees New $517.95 Renewal $349.85 Passenger ferry licence fees Tonnage < 3 $0.00 4-9 $4,459.42 10-19 $8,917.73 20-29 $13,379.56 >30 $19,172.33 Per landing $4.93 Vehicular ferry licence fees Tonnage < 100 $2,139.69 101-200 $4,104.79 201-400 $5,209.47 401-600 $7,700.06 >600 POA Per landing $5.79
On 24 June 2021, Council resolved at its special budget meeting to raise the ferry licence fees. Council’s ferry licence fees are calculated on a cost-recovery basis to cover the increases in operating costs, including employee costs and goods and services costs involved in maintaining and upgrading jetty and landing facilities and the adjacent environment utilised by local ferry operators. The increase in ferry licence fees will be effective from 1 July 2021.
As of the 2021-2022 financial year, the licence validity period will run from 1 July to 30 June.
Council delayed issuing the invoice in June 2021 for the final period due to Council’s then-pending budget meeting, details of which remain confidential until adoption.
The Schedule of Fees for the 2021-2022 financial year can be downloaded here. The Schedule of Fees is reviewed annually at Council’s special budget meeting.
Council uses the fees to offset the cost of owning and operating jetties and landing facilities, including ferry terminals and barge ramps and the adjacent environment utilised by local ferry operators.
To speak to a Council officer, please phone Council on 07 3829 8999.
Commercial and recreational boat users wanting to launch their vessel from Cylinder Beach at North Stradbroke Island will need to apply for a boat launching permit.
Complete the online Boat Launching Application form here.
Marine Driver Licences
The Queensland State Government administers the issuing of recreational and commercial marine driver licences.:
- Recreational marine driver licence (Queensland Government)
- Commercial marine licence (Maritime Safety Queensland)
Weinam Creek car park and marina
- Weinam Creek terms - car compound [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Weinam Creek terms - marina [PDF, 0.1MB]
- Weinam Creek - marina permit [PDF, 0.2MB]
- Guide to gates cards [PDF, 0.2MB]
- Weinam Creek keys and cards [PDF, 0.2MB]
- Weinam Creek cancellation [PDF, 0.1MB]
Weinam Creek Secure Car Parking Waitlist is now closed. For further information please contact Council 3829 8999.
- Traffic control permit [PDF, 0.1MB]
- Traffic control permit indemnity form [PDF, 0.04MB]
- Domestic Driveway Crossover Application
- Residential driveway self-help guide [PDF, 4.0MB] - please read before submitting your domestic driveway crossover application form
- Roadside memorial notification form [PDF, 0.1MB]
- Structure on Road Reserve [PDF, 0.1MB] (skip bins, containers etc)
Refer to traffic management permits for more information on traffic control permits and road opening permits.
- Approved point of discharge Permit [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Stormwater and roofwater fact sheet [PDF, 5.0MB] - please read before submitting an Approved point of discharge permit
- Application for community signage [PDF, 0.3MB] (White on Blue directional signage)
- Disability permit (Queensland Government)