Mayor Karen Williams
Representing the whole of Redland City – view the Redlands boundary map
Karen Williams was first elected as Councillor for Division 9 Capalaba of the then Redland Shire Council in 2004. She was elected as Mayor of Redland City Council in April 2012 and was proud to be re-elected as civic leader in 2016 and 2020. Karen believes the Redlands is the best place to live, work, learn, play and invest and is dedicated to making sure that Redland City is recognised as the jewel in the crown of South East Queensland with assets including the many island communities such as North Stradbroke Island, Russell Island, Macleay Island, Lamb Island, Karragarra Island and Coochiemudlo Island.
Karen prides herself for her strong, caring and inclusive community focus, for being hard working and getting the job done. Her top priorities are:
- Continuing to put the people of Redland City first
- Continuing to tackle cost of living issues in Redland City
- Putting our city on a sound long-term financial footing
- Supporting local business and attracting new business investment and new jobs to the Redlands
- Building a new economy based on innovation
- Turning challenges into opportunities for the city and its residents
- Building partnerships to address the backlog of infrastructure – particularly Redlands rural and island communities
- Continuing to identify efficiencies within Council to ensure it is even more responsive to the people
Qualifications and background
Karen is a Redlands Coast local who has lived in the city most of her life. She has raised her family here and been active over many years in the community. She offers real-world business experience having worked in the domestic money market in Sydney and Brisbane. She also owned and operated two successful retail floral studios and retains a close affinity with the business sector. Karen also holds a Diploma with the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Karen has worked tirelessly in the community, in particular through her work for RedFest (formerly the Redland Strawberry Festival) as part of the executive that saved this iconic event from extinction.
One of Karen's greatest achievements was establishing and facilitating a Redlands-based volunteer mentoring program for students at risk of disengaging from school. This program has now been rolled out to other regions and has produced outstanding results. She has added many other achievements since her election, including attracting the Australian Industry Trade College to the Redlands, establishing an economic development framework and industry assistance network, ensuring that Council invests wisely in the community and turning around Council’s economic position to the advantage of ratepayers.
Karen is committed to improving the quality of life on Redlands Coast and the city’s liveability, by advocating for sustainable growth and focusing on attracting job-creating investment.
As a mother of two and grandmother Karen believes in preserving the same sense of community and security she's experienced through her life in the Redlands.
- U3A Redlands District Inc
- Redland Spring Festival Inc (Redfest) (Life member and Volunteer)
- Brisbane German Club (Life member)
- Pt Lookout SLSC Inc (Honorary member)
- Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club
- Redlands RSL
- Rotary Cleveland (Honorary member)
- Rotary Club of Capalaba
- Lions Club Capalaba (Member)
- Rotary Club of Capalaba (Honorary member)
- Scouts Australia QLD Branch
- Men of League Foundation
- Redlands Museum
- LNP Queensland
- Bay Island Chamber of Commerce (Honorary member)
- Wellington Point Cricket Club Inc (Honorary Vice President)
The Mayor is a patron of:
- Redlands Sinfonia
- Capalaba Junior Rugby League Club
- BayFM – Bayside Community Radio Association Inc
- Music at Redlands College
- Redland Sporting Club Pipe Band
- Wynnum-Redlands Cycling Club
- Cooee Indigenous Elders
- Redland Hospital Auxiliary Inc
- Isle of Coochie Golf Club Inc
- Redland District Committee on the Ageing (RDCOTA)
- Point Lookout Surf Life Saving Club Inc
- Redlands Orchid Society Inc
- Redlands PCYC
- Bayside Respite Care Association Inc
- Brisbane German Club
- U3A University of the Third Age Redlands District Inc.
- Cancer Council Queensland – Redlands Branch
- Coochiemudlo Island Surf Life Saving Club
- Redland City Bands
- Surf Life Saving Queensland
- Surf Life Saving Queensland South Coast Branch Inc
- Rotary Cleveland (Honorary member)
- Mt Cotton Scout Group
- Redlands Modern Country Music Club
- Capalaba Ladies Bowling Club
- Karragarra Yacht Club
The Mayor is also Vice Patron of Surf Life Saving Queensland.
News from the Mayor
You can view the current and previous editions of Mayor Karen Williams' newsletter to find out more about what's going on in Redland City.