Temporary commercial activity in a park or public open space

Redland City Council supports a range of temporary commercial activities that activate our parks and open spaces to create vibrant places and liveable communities.

A temporary commercial activity occurs where goods or services are offered for sale for a fee, or where a business is promoted. For example:

  • Personal training and sports coaching programs
  • Mobile food and beverage vans
  • Hire of recreation equipment (canoes, bikes, scooters)
  • Entertainment (open air cinemas, jumping castles, children’s petting zoo)
  • Tourist based activities (canoe and kayak tours)

Eligible locations

Council has identified a number of parks and open spaces that are of a suitable size and shape with attributes that can accommodate temporary commercial activities. The list of suitable parks and open spaces [PDF 10.94MB] may be changed by Council at its discretion.

When you need approval

Council approval is required to undertake a temporary commercial activity within various parks and open spaces. Under Subordinate Local Law 1.2 Commercial use of local government controlled areas and roads, Council regulates temporary commercial activities to optimise benefits to visitors, and maintain the amenity and safety of park users and nearby residents. A certificate of approval will be valid for up to one year.

Council aims to ensure that temporary commercial activities:

  • Enhance visitor experience
  • Support the health and wellbeing of the community
  • Complement the function, purpose and size of the park
  • Create opportunities for social interaction
  • Support the tourism industry and local employment opportunities
  • Are sustainable by complementing the park’s recreational, environmental, social, and cultural values

When can I apply?

A commercial vendor can only apply for a certificate of approval once they have been successfully shortlisted through an EOI process. An EOI is expected to be released by the first quarter of 2020 for a number Council owned eligible parks and open spaces. 

How to apply

Council issues an Expression of Interest (EOI) to determine eligible applicants that can apply for a certificate of approval. If you are shortlisted through the EOI process you are eligible to apply for a certificate of approval. 

N.B. Submission of an EOI or application does not provide an approval to carry out a temporary commercial activity.

  1. Complete Temporary Commercial Activity Application
  2. Complete the Temporary Commercial Activity Checklist 
  3. Provide a Location Activity Plan by uploading an aerial photo/s (Word, PDF or JPG file) and illustrate the proposed area within the park to be used. You can use Council’s Red-e-map interactive mapping, Google My Maps or other online mapping tools to create this plan or mark-ups on the aerial photo can be hand-drawn.

What level of insurance do I need?

Commercial vendors must ensure that they have a certificate of currency for public liability insurance to the value of $20 million, and product liability insurance to the value of $20 million. Depending on the temporary commercial activity professional indemnity insurance may also be required e.g. fitness and sports facilitators. A copy of the relevant insurance will be required at the time of lodging an application for a certificate of approval.


No fee is payable at the time of application. Completed applications will be assessed by Council, and if approved, an invoice will be issued for the relevant fees for the temporary commercial use.

More Information