Council works in partnership with community organisations on a number of important initiatives around domestic and family violence.
Domestic and family violence support contacts
- The Centre For Women & Co – (07) 3050 3060
- Centre Against Sexual Violence – (07) 3808 3299
- Domestic Violence Hotline
- Elder Abuse Prevention Unit – Helpline 1300 651 192
Council is supporting The Centre For Women & Co. to raise awareness and develop their early and intervention and prevention programs and resource packages.
Men & Co. Services are rolling out practical tools that support men and young men with their health, wellbeing and positive behaviours.
Men are critical to families and communities and men’s sense of purpose, quality of relationships, direction and fulfilment and Men & Co Services practitioners are working to save lives.
Council is supporting the Local Government Association of Queensland’s Not in our Backyard – stop abuse at the start campaign to embed cultural change in local government workplaces and communities in response to the Not Now Not Ever: Putting an end to domestic and family violence in Queensland report.
Queensland Government has also launched a new campaign Domestic and family violence can take many forms—it is not always physical abuse aims to educate on how to recognise all forms of Domestic and Family Violence and what support is available.
Red Bench project
Council has installed 13 Red Benches across Redlands Coast, in support of the Red Rose Foundation. The bright benches provided a visible reminder of the city’s commitment to helping those impacted by domestic and family violence.
The Red Bench program is an initiative of the Red Rose Foundation, an organisation led by Redlands Coast’s own Betty Taylor who is doing so much to shine a light on domestic and family violence.
The benches are located across all Council divisions at the following locations:
- Alexandra Hills - David Parr Park, 9 Sherington Street
- Alexandra Hills - Snowdon Street Park, Snowdon Street
- Birkdale - Birkdale Aquatic Paradise West, 18 Commodore Drive
- Capalaba - Capalaba Regional Park, Pittwin Road
- Cleveland - Cleveland Library Square, Middle Street
- Cleveland - Raby Bay Harbour Park Promenade, 146-148 Shore Street
- Macleay Island - Men's Shed
- Mount Cotton - Mount Cotton Community Park, 51-63 Valley Way
- Ormiston - Wellington Street
- Redland Bay - Jack Gordon Pathway, Bay Street
- Thornlands - Manning Esplanade Foreshore Park, 2-4 South Street
- Victoria Point - Rosebud Esplanade
- Wellington Point - Reserve, 369-375 Main Road, Wellington Point
Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month
Each May is Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month. The annual Redlands Coast Candle Lighting Vigil is held to remember those who have been lost due to domestic and family violence.
Simultaneous vigils are held across the state to mark the beginning of Queensland’s Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month.