Council has acquired a strategic parcel of prime waterfront land adjacent to one of the City’s most popular landmarks, Cleveland Point Recreation Reserve, which includes the historic Cleveland lighthouse built in 1865.
The land comprises three adjoining blocks that cover 1,859 square metres and have panoramic views across Moreton Bay.
The area is considered of great historical and community value. Council purchased the freehold undeveloped land at 232, 234 and 236 Shore Street North for $3.6 million to improve access to the bay and coastline, providing residents with the chance to enjoy what they love most about Redlands Coast.
Community engagement will be held on its future use.
While the future use of the land is being decided, the land will be maintained 'as is'.
Tell us your stories about Cleveland Point
Council is keen to hear stories and uncover old photographs of Cleveland Point, which is home to one of only two surviving lighthouses of its type.
Stories and photographs of Cleveland Point can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop them in at one of our customer service centres or telephone Council on (07) 3829 8999.
A rich history
The traditional Quandamooka owners knew the Cleveland area as Nandeebie or Nandillie.
- Cleveland Point Lighthouse was built in 1864-65 to guide the small coastal steamers that travelled between Brisbane and farming settlements along the Logan and Albert Rivers.
- One of Queensland’s first lighthouses, it is one of only two surviving examples of its type.
- Cleveland Point was briefly known as Pumpkin Point and Emu Point.
- The first public jetty was built at Cleveland Point in 1866 and extended towards Peel Island.
- Cleveland was proclaimed in December 1850, at a time when many hoped to make Cleveland Point the main port of Moreton Bay, with either Brisbane or Ipswich as the commercial centre.
- Cleveland Point was once a busy commercial centre. In 1859, following the failure of the port bid, squatter and investor Francis Bigge converted his wool store complex on Cleveland Point into a sawmill. It was operated by shipbuilder Taylor Winship, who set up a shipbuilding yard next door soon after.
- In 1861, Cleveland’s first post office began operating on the tip of Cleveland Point with Taylor Winship as the first postmaster. This allotment later included the telegraph office and the Bank of Queensland.
- In 1866, the Queensland Government finished the 1,000-foot jetty off the eastern side of Cleveland Point.
- In 1880, Cleveland’s third hotel, the Pier Hotel, was established on Cleveland Point. It burnt down in 1936 and the site is now occupied by the Lighthouse Restaurant.
- In 1885, the Queensland Government built a new jetty on Cleveland Point, this time on the western (Raby Bay) side.
- In 1897, the railway line was extended to Cleveland Point, terminating near Paxton Street.
- The Cleveland Pier Kiosk was built next to the western jetty at Cleveland Point in 1920. Visitors were charged tuppence to go out onto the jetty to fish or swim. The kiosk operated until its owners, the Galloways, pulled it down around 1936-1937.
- For six months from the beginning of 1944, the Ship and Gun Crew Command No. 1 occupied the Cleveland Point Reserve as a firing range, installing a concrete gun platform.
- In 1978, the jetty on the western side of Cleveland Point was demolished.
Questions & answers
The land comprises three waterfront blocks at 232, 234 and 236 Shore Street North, Cleveland, all of which have views over Raby Bay to Ormiston, Wellington Point and the open expanses of Moreton Bay. They have a total area of 1,859 square metres.
Council paid a combined $3.6 million for the three blocks, plus associated costs.
The purchase is funded through Council’s operating funds.
The purchase does not impact on existing rates and services.
The listing of the land for sale provided Council with an opportunity to further enhance one of Redlands Coast’s best known and loved landmarks and recreation areas. The area has significant historical value for its role in the City’s maritime and farming history and is the site of one of the first lighthouses built in Queensland (1865).
The land is undeveloped and currently vacant, though was previously used for housing. It is currently zoned Low-Medium Density Residential.
A decision has not been made on the future use of the land. There will be community engagement on what it should be used for. There are possibilities to create a memorable quality tourism experience and to boost Cleveland Point’s reputation as a regionally significant destination by providing an even better spot for locals and visitors.
Council is cognisant of the need to minimise traffic issues and is currently developing transport strategies that will promote alternative forms of transport to popular places such as Cleveland Point.