Our mainland green waste collection service offers fortnightly kerbside collection of your organic garden waste. Green waste is collected in the same way as your general household waste and recycling and helps divert garden waste from landfill.
Council audits show that almost a third of kerbside wheelie bin waste sent to landfill is green waste. What a waste! Help Council expand its mainland green waste collection service by ordering your household green waste bin today.
Why get a green waste bin?
- Affordable – still only around $1 per week on your rates.
- Convenient – no need to pack the trailer to visit the waste transfer station.
- Safety – kerbside collection makes it easier to reduce the risk of fire and storm and fire damage posed by overgrown gardens.
- Environment – your garden organics will be processed into soil and landscaping products.
About the mainland green waste collection service
- Green waste bins are only available for mainland residents at this time.
- Green waste bins are emptied on the opposite week to your recycle bin.
- Put your green waste bin kerbside with your general rubbish bin before 6.00am on your collection day
- Green waste bin lids are lime green. If your general rubbish bin has the old green lid, it will be replaced with the newer red lid at no extra charge when your new green waste bin is delivered.
What to put in your green waste bin
Acceptable bin items:
- Garden prunings
- Grass clippings
- Weeds and flowers
- Leaves and loose bark
- Palm fronds and small branches.
- Plastic bags
- General waste and recyclables
- Kitchen and food waste, including fruit and vegetable scraps
- Animal droppings
- Large logs, branches and stumps
- Garden hoses
- Rocks and builders material
- Treated, composite or painted timber
- Plant pots
- Hazardous waste.
Tips and advice
Line the bottom of your empty green waste bin with a piece of cardboard or some newspaper. This helps to soak up any moisture and allows your green waste to easily fall out of the bin when it is collected.
Do not bag your green waste as plastic contaminates the compost product.
Ensure your bin lid can close:
- Do not allow palm fronds or garden prunings to protrude from your bin.
- Items should not exceed 75cm in length or 10cm in diameter – our vehicles are unable to process large items.