Workplace security protects customers, staff and property. Whether you're a business owner or an employee, you can do your part to improve security in your workplace.
To improve your security at work:
- never give your personal details to customers and remove your identification when you leave work
- keep your personal belongings out of sight and in a locked drawer if possible
- check the identification of people loitering around work premises, especially if they claim they are there for a reason (e.g. repairs)
- report suspicious activity
- develop a policy on handling money and make staff aware of it
- if you transport money, take a colleague or security guard with you and vary your route
- never make it obvious that you are carrying money
- put all rubbish in a secured bin
- install security equipment such as mirrors, CCTV and alarms
- keep lighting outside your premises in working order
- trim trees and shrubs to enhance surveillance footage and reduce hiding spots.