Getting approval for your event

Council regulates temporary entertainment events on Council land or roads to ensure that they are conducted safely for patrons and prevent nuisances to the surrounding environment.

You may need to apply for approval by submitting a temporary entertainment event form [PDF, 311KB].

You will also need to provide a detailed event management plan, emergency management plan and site plan.

Additionally, you may need public liability insurance, a risk assessment document and special permission to use public spaces.

See below for details on these.

An event management plan describes all the issues that you’ve addressed in planning the event.

Event management plans must address public liability, risk management, traffic management, community safety and security, first aid, electrical safety, gas safety, environmental management, amenities, temporary structures, service of food or liquor, amusement operator requirements and signage/advertising.

For advice on writing an Event Management Plan, download the Queensland Government’s Event Management Planning Guide.

An emergency management plan outlines how you will handle emergencies during the event.

Emergency Management Plans must identify who is responsible for responding to incidents; outline procedures for various situations, e.g. medical emergency or fire; include a contact list for event stakeholders and emergency services; outline evacuation procedures; and identify emergency exits and assembly points on site maps.

Ensure access to fire safety installations and emergency exits. Provide copies of the emergency management plan to all event stakeholders: staff and volunteers, all stall holders and suppliers, emergency services and local and state government agencies.

A site plan is an aerial drawing of the event location that details the layout of all the activities, buildings and facilities at your event.

Your site plan should be drawn to scale and include the location of roads, car parking, emergency vehicle access, fire fighting equipment, emergency exits, emergency assembly areas, pedestrian walkways, first aid, areas for lost children and property, each stall and its name, each amusement operator and their name, amenities, bins and audio equipment (e.g. speakers).

If you’d like to use a Council venue, you need to identify the name and address of the Council venue that is suitable for the size and scale of your event.

Note that bookings do not guarantee exclusive use of the venue. Use of Council parks and open spaces is subject to the terms and conditions of hire in addition to any conditions of the form. Fees and charges and/or a bond may apply.

If you wish to install equipment or place temporary structures (such as marquees, soil disturbance from tent pegs, digging, vehicle access, bin and toilet location), contact Council’s Sport and Community Facilities Unit.

Only events managed and controlled by Council are covered under its public liability insurance policy. Additionally, the policy indemnifies Council and no other party.

Therefore, you will need to provide a certificate of currency for $20 million that covers your event’s duration and scope, and notes Redland City Council as an interested party.

Also ensure that any other party or provider associated with your event has public liability cover and provides evidence of this cover before the event.

Council is committed to event safety and takes risk management seriously. It’s your responsibility to complete a risk assessment before your event.

The risk assessment should identify, assess and control risks relevant to the event. Use the risk calculator [PDF, 104KB] to assess identified risks and the risk assessment template [PDF, 88KB].

See a sample of a completed risk assessment [PDF, 145KB].

Please submit all applications for events with fewer than 3000 attendees at least six weeks before the event. This will give Council enough time to review your submission, request further information and process any permits or licences.

Submit all applications for events with more than 3000 attendees at least three months before the event.

Fees may apply to the permits or licences discussed above. See a full list of Council’s fees.

Complete the necessary forms and submit them to Council:

  • email -
  • mailRedland City Council, PO Box 21, Cleveland Qld 4163
  • in personRedland City Council, Administration Building, Cnr Bloomfield and Middle Streets, Cleveland Qld 4163

Contact Council’s Environmental Health Team at or on (07) 3829 8999