Under the Redland City Economic Development Framework 2014–2041, representatives of the city’s eight future industry and employment growth sectors form the Economic Development Advisory Board.
Role of the board
The board has an independent chair, and is comprised of representatives from the region’s key economic sectors: construction, education and training, high value-add services, health care and social assistance, manufacturing, retail trade, rural enterprises and tourism (accommodation and food services). The board meets quarterly.
The framework’s success depends heavily on the relationship between Council and the business community. Therefore, the board will:
- oversee the framework’s implementation
- assist with developing and implementing the eight key industry sector action plans
- review and report on the progress of the framework and action plans, and ensure the plans align to the framework’s goals and objectives
- advise the Mayor, Councillors and CEO on trends, opportunities and threats in their sectors and any adjustments to the framework that may be needed as a result
- act as the link between Council and the key industry sectors, and ensure communication between the public and private sectors
- actively promote the Redlands as a great place to live, work and do business
- partner with Council and other government bodies (e.g. RDA Logan and Redlands, Council of Mayors South East Queensland) to attract investment to Redland City, including lobbying state and federal governments on key initiatives and projects.
Under the framework, actions plans are to be developed and implemented with assistance from the board. One of those actions plans has already been developed:
- Redland City Tourism Strategy and Action Plan 2015-2020
- Education and Training Industry Sector Plan [PDF, 1.0MB]
- Health Care and Social Assistance Industry Sector Plan [PDF, 1.2MB]
- Redlands Coast Rural Enterprises Industry Sector Plan [PDF, 1.2MB]
The board provides Council with an assessment of its performance once a year.
On Wednesday 10 October 2018, Council noted the Redlands Economic Development Advisory Board Annual Report July 2017- June 2018 [PDF, 6.4MB].
On Wednesday 8 November 2017, Council noted the Redlands Economic Development Advisory Board Annual Report June 2016 to June 2017 [PDF, 1.0MB].