Self-service checkouts and returns coming in March
Mainland branches are taking an exciting step into the future with a new checkout system that will replace current borrowing counters and allow you to easily and quickly checkout and return books yourself.
Island branches will also adopt the new technology but borrowing counters will remain for now.
Temporary library closure dates
Mainland branches will close for one week to undergo refurbishments.
Only one branch will close at a time so you can still visit the two other branches, access our 24/7 virtual library with a range of online services and the mobile library service will be available.
- Cleveland Library will be closed from Monday 4 March reopening Monday 11 March
- Capalaba Library will be closed from Monday 11 March reopening Monday 18 March
- Victoria Point Library and Customer Service Centre will be closed from Monday 18 March reopening Monday 25 March
About the technology - Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
RFID technology uses radio waves to read and capture information stored on a tag that will be attached to library items.
The tags will replace the individual-scan barcodes used now and the technology incorporates:
- New RFID readers that will allow you to checkout a stack of up to eight books at once.
- New check-in book shelves that will allow you to return your books as you walk into the library so they’ll immediately be available for others to borrow.
- “Reference Pods” installed throughout the library so you can still access the system with library staff on the floor to help you with your needs.
- Easy and quick checkouts and returns
- More items readily available for you to access
- More public space for community use once borrowing counters are removed
- Library staff will be on the floor to help you
- Library staff available to help improve and deliver our community programs to you
RFID Project progress updates
- Library staff have placed the new RFID tags on all items in the collection
- Mainland branches will close for one week to undergo refurbishments
Customers are asked to pick up items on hold prior to the closure
Follow the Redland Libraries Facebook page for project updates.