The old Cleveland Point Lighthouse is a hexagonal wooden lighthouse about 12m (38ft) tall. It is made of painted weatherboards attached to a timber frame.
It has a gallery around the top made of painted iron alloy with glass windows, and the top (turret) is capped with a painted iron alloy dome.
The light used kerosene until 1934 when it was converted to electricity.
Why the Cleveland Point Lighthouse is important
- The lighthouse is the only remaining timber-structured, timber-clad 19th century lighthouse in Moreton Bay - it was an experimental design and one of only three hexagonal lighthouses erected in Moreton Bay.
- The Cleveland Lighthouse is the only clearly visible physical reminder of Cleveland Point’s role in early shipping in Moreton Bay - any other structures were built on Cleveland Point (e.g. jetties and buildings) but the lighthouse is the only structure that is still standing.
The lighthouse was originally located on the north east tip of Cleveland Point. In 1975, a new concrete light was built and the old lighthouse was moved to the western shore of the point, about 140m south of its original location. In 2009, the concrete light was removed.
The lighthouse was built in 1864 by the Queensland Government. It lit up Cleveland Point until it was replaced in 1975 by the concrete light.
In the 1860s, small farming settlements along the south coast of Moreton Bay, including at Cleveland, Victoria Point, Redland Bay and along the Logan and Albert Rivers relied on small ships (coastal steamers) for transport.
Travel by ship could be dangerous as the mudflats and sandbanks in Moreton Bay move and there are rocks. The bay is also very tidal, which meant it gets very shallow, especially close to shore.
Cleveland Point was a dangerous spot. Before the lighthouse was built, people living in Cleveland put up small lights to make sure the ships didn’t run aground. These small lights kept getting damaged, and eventually the Queensland Government decided to build a permanent light.
- Local history - Cleveland Point Lighthouse [PDF, 367KB]
- The Local History Collection (Redland Libraries)