Cleveland Point Lighthouse
What is it?
The Cleveland Lighthouse is a hexagonal wooden lighthouse about 12m (38ft) tall. It is made of painted weatherboards attached to a timber frame. It has a gallery around the top made of painted iron alloy with glass windows. The top (turret) is capped with a painted iron alloy dome. The light used kerosene until 1934 when it was converted to electricity.
Where is it?
The lighthouse was originally on the north east tip of Cleveland Point, about three metres from the concrete light now on the Point. It was moved to its current site in March 1976 when the new concrete light was built.
When was it built?
The Lighthouse was built about 1864. It lit the Point until it was replaced in 1975 by the concrete light.
Why was it built?
In the 1860s, small farming settlements along the south coast of Moreton Bay, including at Cleveland, Victoria Point, Redland Bay and along the Logan and Albert Rivers relied on small ships (coastal steamers) for transport.
Travel by ship could be dangerous as the mudflats and sandbanks in Moreton Bay move and there are rocks. The bay is also very tidal, which meant it gets very shallow, especially close to shore.
Cleveland Point was a dangerous spot. Before the lighthouse was built, people living in Cleveland put up small lights to make sure the ships didn’t run aground. These small lights kept getting damaged, and eventually the Queensland Government decided to build a permanent light.
Who built it?
It was built by the Queensland Government.
Why is the Cleveland Lighthouse important?
The Cleveland Lighthouse is important for two reasons.
- The lighthouse is the only remaining timber-structured, timber-clad 19th century lighthouse in Moreton Bay. It was an experimental design and one of only three hexagonal lighthouses erected in Moreton Bay.
- The Cleveland Lighthouse is the only clearly visible physical reminder of Cleveland Point’s role in early shipping in Moreton Bay. Many other structures were built on Cleveland Point such as jetties and buildings but the lighthouse is the only structure that is still standing.